| Image from creme-de-languedoc.com |
So what is this city, Montpellier? And why am I not going to, say, Paris? First of all, Mount Holyoke has a program in Montpellier set up by one of its alumnae. This relationship already makes logistics a bit easier on both ends. Moreover, Montpellier looks more my speed than the fast-paced capital of Paris. It's near the beach, with sunny weather, beautiful architecture, and gorgeous walkways. People in southern France are also said to be more laid-back and willing to help foreigners learn French, rather than rushing past or looking down at them. I don't know if this generalization is true, but from looking at pictures I think Montpellier will be a beautiful place to live. And, Montpellier has an Arc de Triomphe of its own, too!
| Image from http://www.wordtravels.com/images/map/France_map.jpg |
It's the capital of the Languedoc-Roussillon region in southern France, and the 8th largest city in France. Montpellier has long been a major educational center, and is home to the western world's oldest operating medical school (still standing from 1180!). Despite its ancient roots, it's a very young city in terms of its people. With a quarter (maybe even a third) of the population being students, there'll be lots of other young people to meet! Montpellier's also the fastest growing city in France and has been for years. Looks like a great blend of old and quaint and new and exciting.
| Image from creme-de-languedoc.com |
That's about all I know, but it's enough for now. I can't wait to actually be there! T-18 days...Le jour n'arrive pas assez vite!
No comments:
Post a Comment