August 2011: What's in a name? This summer I watched the film, Un long dimanche de fiancailles (A Very Long Engagement), based on the book by Sebastien Japrisot.
![]() |
| Image from http://2.bp.blogspot.com/ |
The film shares the same director, Jean-Pierre Jeunet, and main actress, Audrey Tautou, as the beloved Amelie. I loved the charm, the twists, the emotions of this clever and touching story about a young woman trying to find her missing fiance during World War I. I hope I will have in Montpellier a similarly challenging and rewarding journey as Mathilde does to find Manech, complete with "M's majescules et un albatros."
"Un long dimanche" also translates into "a long Sunday." For me and for many, Sunday is the day to relax, dream, and discover before coming back to a new week on Monday. This semester in France will be a time for me to explore what I want to pursue before coming back to the whirlwind world of majors, internships, and careers. Montpellier, I hope, will be a long Sunday. Un long dimanche.

No comments:
Post a Comment